More than 50 million people in the US face hunger; wear orange to show your support on Sept.4
September is Hunger Action Month (HAM) and the Arkansas Foodbank is asking the public to wear orange in support for hunger awareness in the state of Arkansas. Unfortunately, Arkansas is one of the states at the forefront when taking a look at hunger in America. Arkansas ranks first in senior hunger, first in severe hunger, seventh in child hunger and second overall in the entire nation for food insecurity.
On Thursday, September 4th the Main Street, Junction and Clinton bridges will be lit orange at dusk in support for Hunger Action Day.
ALSO, request a signature “orange” drink at restaurants in Little Rock and North Little Rock Thursday. Part of the proceeds from drink sales will be donated to the Foodbank. Restaurants participating our Big Orange West, Big Orange Midtown, Local Lime, Loca Luna, Red Door, Bar Louie, Purple Cow and Ristorante Capeo. See the HAM calendar on our website for the locations of participating restaurants.
Other Events for Hunger Action Month
The Foodbank has a calendar full of special events, learning opportunities, and donation suggestions to entice our supporters. We are asking you to take simple actions: LIKE, VISIT, LEARN and DONATE. Visit our website www.arkansasfoodbank.org for the full calendar of events and details.
- September 4th: Hunger Action Day: Turn ORANGE for hunger relief! Wear orange and enjoy signature “orange” drinks at participating local restaurants while hanging out with friends. Make sure to “like” and follow the Arkansas Foodbank on social media. . See the HAM calendar on our website for the participating restaurants and see our Pinterest page for the recipes and photos of the drinks.
- September 13th: Drive Away Hunger: Enjoy great Southern-style cuisine, local beer, and live entertainment at this casual, family event held at the Arkansas Foodbank. Tickets cost $25 for adults (includes dinner and two drink tickets), and $15 for children (under 10). One lucky person will drive away with a brand new Buick Encore from Everett Buick GMC. (A limited amount of raffle tickets for the car available at the event) Event tickets and info available online.
- September 10th-30th: Edwards Food Giant and Edwards Cash Saver. Support the Arkansas Foodbank at Edwards Food Giant stores by donating at the register. Simply swipe a donation card when you checkout and one dollar will be given to the Foodbank. Visit website for locations.
- All September: Arvest Bank One Million Meals Campaign. Donate food or money at any Arvest Bank branch in Pulaski County during the entire month of September. All food and funds will be donated to the Foodbank. See website for details.
- September 6th: Help Out at a Pantry. Volunteering at a food pantry is a great way to help fight hunger in our state, as well as allowing you to see the faces of hunger in Arkansas. Visit our website and “Locate a Partner Agency” in your zip code and offer to volunteer. Directly assisting those who suffer from hunger is an important way to fight hunger in our community.
- September 9th: Lunch at the Foodbank. Come see us at the Arkansas Foodbank headquarters at 4301 W. 65th from 11:30am-1:30pm and enjoy lunch with us! Food will be provided by Bryant’s BBQ, The Southern Gourmasian, and Southern Salt Food Company. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Foodbank.
- September 15th: Hunger Study. Learn about hunger in Arkansas and see why Arkansas unfortunately leads the country in food insecurity. The study was coordinated by Feeding America and surveyed more than 60,000 clients across the nation. See our website for the findings.
The Arkansas Foodbank, the largest food bank in Arkansas, is a member of Feeding America and the Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance. Its warehouses in Little Rock, Warren, and Caddo Valley serve approximately 300 food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters and other agencies that provide aid directly to hungry Arkansans. Last year the Foodbank distributed more than 16 million pounds of food to agencies that help feed the hungry. For information on how you can fight hunger, visit the Foodbank website at www.arkansasfoodbank.org
Feeding America is a nationwide network of more than 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. Together, we provide food to more than 37 million people through 61,000 food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters in communities across America. Feeding America also supports programs that improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. www.feedingamerica.org
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT
Tyler Lindsey, Communications Director
w. 501-569-4318 / m. 413-0239