Throughout the month of September, the Arkansas Foodbank, a member of the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks, will observe Hunger Action Month™ (HAM) – a nationwide initiative designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. Hunger advocates from Arkansas and across the country are working together this September to shine a light on the issue of hunger and the 49 million people who face hunger in America – including one-in-five in Arkansas, as well as one-in-four seniors and children in our state facing food insecurity.
WHAT IS HUNGER ACTION MONTH™?
The goal of Hunger Action Month™ is to mobilize the public to act on behalf of Feeding America and our food bank network. It is our opportunity to create a movement that has a real and lasting impact on our mission to help end hunger in America. This September, join Feeding America and the Arkansas Foodbank in the fight to end hunger. As individuals, charities, businesses and government, we all have a role to play in getting food to those in need.
September 3: Hunger Action Day™. Turn ORANGE and help spread awareness of hunger relief! The River Bridges, the Arkansas State Capitol and the Courthouse Fountain will be illuminated orange in support of the fight against hunger. You too can wear orange to show support in your community. Also:
- Enjoy a signature orange drink and meal at Big Orange restaurants in Little Rock. Proceeds benefit the Arkansas Foodbank.
- The Foodbank will be hosting a Table Talk Luncheon at the Foodbank’s headquarters from 12-1pm. CEO Rhonda Sanders will discuss the mission of the Foodbank, provide a tour of our facilities and will share how we are helping hungry Arkansans receive the food they desperately need. Please contact Whitney Wellborn, Major Gifs Officer, for more information on the Table Talk Luncheon at (501) 569-4319.
September 26: Drive Away Hunger. This family-friendly and casual event is held on the grounds of the Arkansas Foodbank and features a BBQ dinner from Whole Hog Café as well as live entertainment from the B Flats. Come enjoy a silent auction, activities for kids and much more! The event will be from 5pm-8pm. Tickets can be purchased at www.arkansasfoodbank.org. Contact Debra Wood, Special Events Coordinator, at (501) 569-4329 for more information.
Other Events in September:
- September 19: Little Rocktoberfest Partners with the Arkansas Foodbank. Come to the Arkansas State Fairgrounds from 6-9pm and enjoy beverages and food from a variety of vendors at Arkansas’s largest beer festival. The event will be hosted by Central Arkansas Fermenters and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Arkansas Foodbank. Tickets can be purchased online at www.littlerocktoberfest.com or at the State Fairgrounds on the day of the event.
- September 19: Volunteer at the Foodbank. Join us at the Foodbank from 9am-12pm and help box food for hungry Arkansans. E-mail our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com to sign up. Space is limited.
- September 29: Planned Giving Workshop: Create a lasting impact for years to come at the Foodbank by joining the Legacy of Hope. Planned giving allows you to continue to support hunger relief for years to come. The Planned Giving Workshop, held from 5:30-6:30pm in the Arkansas Foodbank’s Community Room, will provide detailed information on planned giving and how you can create a better future for thousands of Arkansans. Please RSVP.
Feeding America and the Arkansas Foodbank will be participating in the new Spoontember™ online initiative. To get involved, share a ‘spoon selfie’ or video of yourself balancing a spoon on your nose, and challenge friends and family to join you in spreading awareness of the 584,000 Arkansans who don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Please share your ‘spoon selfie’ on social media and change your profile picture to raise awareness of hunger relief throughout the month of September. Please use the hashtags #spoontember and #hungeractionmonth when posting on any of our social media accounts.